Michelin 2021 Laguna Seca Post-Race
Michelin 2021 Laguna Seca Post-Race
Michelin Delivers Speed and Endurance at Hyundai IMSA Sports Car Weekend at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca
- WTR Acura, Corvette Racing, Pfaff Porsche Take Big Wins in Monterey
- Eight New Lap Records For Michelin
- Wright Porsche Takes Michelin Pilot Challenge, Hyundai Sweeps TCR
MONTEREY, CA Sept. 12, 2021— Michelin’s experience and portfolio of tires for a wide range of conditions delivered record speeds and long-lasting performance at this weekend’s Hyundai Monterey Sports Car Championship.
Facing the technical and elevation challenges of the 2.238 mile,11-turn WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca circuit, Michelin fitted its harder compound options to manage the increasingly abrasive track surface.
Where harder tread compound tires typically sacrifice a bit of peak lap time in exchange for extended range, the IMSA WeatherTech Championship and MICHELIN Pilot Challenge teams posted a stunning collection of eight new qualifying and race lap records while using the harder Michelin compounds.
“Delivering tire performance that lasts is highly prized on the track and even more by consumers who get greater value for their tires,” said Tony Ménard, director of motorsport, Michelin North America.
Acura Wayne Taylor Racing shines in California sun
Ricky Taylor and Felipe Albuquerque won their third race of the 2021 IMSA series in the Acura DPi. This marked Taylor’s 27th class win and Albuquerque’s 8th class win.
The No. 10 Wayne Taylor Racing team took control of the race with 25 minutes left. Ricky Taylor passed the fuel saving No. 60 Meyer Shank Racing Acura DPi driven by Olivier Pla and Dane Cameron. Finishing runner-up was Renger van der Zande and Kevin Magnussen with Cadillac Chip Ganassi Racing. Felipe Nasr and Pipo Derani of Whelen Engineering Racing rounded out the podium in third.
Corvette Racing wins at Laguna Seca for first time in seven years
The No. 4 Chevrolet Corvette C8.R driven by Nick Tandy and Tommy Milner gave Corvette Racing its first win in Monterey since 2014. This also marked the No. 4 team’s first points victory in 2021. Milner and Tandy now combine for 34 career wins.
Antonio Garcia and Jordan Taylor in the No. 3 Chevrolet Corvette C8.R finished runner up in GTLM. WeatherTech Racing with Cooper MacNeil and Matt Campbell took third in a Porsche 911 RSR-19.
Porsche Pfaff Motorsports win back-to-back races in GTD
Porsche Pfaff Motorsports took a trip to victory lane in GTD for the second time in a row. The Porsche 911 GT3.R controlled by Zacharie Robichon and Laurens Vanthoor won their third race of the season holding off the No. 1 Paul Miller Racing Lamborghini Huracán GT3 Evo driven Bryan Sellers and Madison Snow. Patrick Long and Trent Hindman with Wright Motorsports crossed the finish line third in a Porsche 911 GT3.R.
PR1 Mathiasen Motorsports victorious in LMP2
Ben Keating and Mikkel Jensen led PR1 Mathiasen Motorsports to a win in LMP2. This is the third win of the season for the No. 52 team. Tower Motorsports’ Gabriel Aubry and John Farano finished second. Completing the podium in third was Steven Thomas and Tristan Nunez with WIN Autosport.
IMSA records slashed at Laguna Seca
The Hyundai Monterey Sports Car Championship saw eight new IMSA race and qualifying records:
DPi: Felipe Albuquerque 1:14.441 DPi: Loic Duval 1:15.669
GTLM: Jordan Taylor 1:21.151 LMP2: Mikkel Jensen 1:16.371
GTD: Laurens Vanthoor 1:23.872 GTLM: Nick Tandy 1:21.827
TCR: Tyler Maxson 1:32.689 TCR: Jon Morley 1:33.585
Hyundai shows Elantra N for first time to public with MICHELIN® Pilot® Sport 4S tires
The first-ever 2022 ELANTRA N was unveiled to the public this weekend at the Hyundai Monterey Sports Car Championship. The new release joined the Elantra N TCR found in the IMSA series on track. The N line brand represents Hyundai’s high-performance vehicles. The new Elantra N cars will be fitted with MICHELIN® Pilot® Sport 4S tires. Learn more about why tire performance is crucial to the car’s dynamic capabilities here.
“I’m pretty sure that we’re the youngest IMSA duo ever”
IMSA features a set of young and eager teammates. While their friends are still learning how to drive — 17-year-old Tyler Gonzalez and 16-year-old Tyler Maxson let their performance in a Hyundai Veloster N TCR speak for itself. The pair already have two podiums and two poles in the Michelin Pilot Challenge. A series the teenagers say is the best place to be for their future. Watch here how “No minors in pit lane” signs are no problem for them because they drive one of the race cars.
Michelin Post-Race Notes
- The NBC Sports Network Michelin Tech Minute takes us back to the big moments in 2007. Plus, the clip explains the cycle of track surface life and its impact on Michelin tires. Watch here.
- The WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca 120 for the IMSA Michelin Pilot Challenge was won in GS by the Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 CS driven by Maxwell Root and Jan Heylen with Wright Motorsports. Root was filling in for Ryan Hardwick who was sidelined with COVID-19. The win marked Root’s and Heylen’s first in the Michelin Pilot Challenge. Root skipped races in the Porsche Carerra Cup in Indianapolis to run in the Pilot race.
- Hyundai swept the podium in TCR and the Elantra N took the top two spots. Mark Wilkins and Harry Gottsacker in the No. 33 took the checkered flag in first.
- The Michelin Moment of the Race in GS happened when the No. 4 Winward Racing Mercedes-AMG GT GT4 took an extra four seconds to take four tires on their last stop. This allowed the team to finish in second place.
- The Michelin Moment of the Race in TCR was the No. 77 Bryan Herta Autosport Veloster N TCR team’s strategy to finish on the podium and hold the championship lead.
- The Porsche Carrera Cup North America presented by The Cayman Islands ran three races at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway during the Porsche Sports Car Together Festival this weekend. Multimatic Motorsports driver Sebastian Priaulx won two of the contests while Parker Thompson won the other at the Racing Capitol of the World.
The 2021 IMSA WeatherTech Sports Car Championship heads to the Acura Grand Prix of Long Beach in Southern California. The race starts at 5:05 pm ET on Saturday, September 25. The event can be seen live on NBCSN or on Track Pass on NBC Sports Gold.